Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Course Reserves

Find, use, and manage course reserves.

Interlibrary Loan & Reserves

Profile Photo
Natalie Shepard
Jim Dan Hill Library, Room 154

Frequently Asked Questions about Reserves

What Type of Materials Can be Added to Traditional Reserves?

Book, audiocassettes, videocassettes, DVDs, CD-ROMs, including library copies or personal copies, study guides, sample exams, etc. We do not add entire periodical issues from the library's collection to the reserve collection as our periodicals do not circulate from the building.

What Copyright Requirements Must Be Met?

All materials for the reserve collection must meet copyright guidelines (see tab above). The Library will not place materials on reserve if it judges that the nature, scope, or extent of the material is beyond the reasonable limits of the Fair Use Guidelines of the Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the faculty member to ensure the material meets the guidelines and to obtain permission to use copyrighted materials. The faculty member must agree to the following statements:

  1. I acknowledge having read the Jim Dan Hill Library's reserve copyright guidelines and agree that the materials I submit are in compliance with this interpretation of the US Copyright Law.
  2. When required, I received permission from the copyright holder to provide access to the material I am submitting.

How Do I Submit Materials?

All materials must be accompanied by a completed Reserve Request Form which includes the instructor name, class, and loan information. Please include the title of the materials on the form in the same manner as it appears in your syllabus.

How Long Will It Take?

Materials submitted for reserve will be available within three days (Monday-Friday) of receipt in the Library. Please note that the beginning of the semester is very busy and additional processing time (1 week+) may be needed. Materials will be processed in the order they are received.

Can I Submit Personal Copies?

Yes, personal copies can go on Reserve. Be aware: you place personal items on Course Reserves at your own risk. The library cannot demand payment from students for lost items that are not theirs. Please also make sure you are obeying any Copyright and Fair Use guidelines, including viewing or distribution rights for DVDs.

Can I Submit Materials from Other Libraries?

No, materials from other libraries cannot go on Course Reserves. However, if you see materials that other libraries have which we do not, we can order those materials for our library. Those copies of the materials can then go on Course Reserves.

When Can I Submit Materials?

Materials may be submitted at any time prior to or during the semester.  Please note on the form the term for which the material is to be available.

To Whom Should I Submit Materials?

The Reserve Request Form(s) may be filled out below or at the Public Services Desk. Materials may also be dropped off at the Public Service Desk.

Rules of Thumb

The Library offers the following Rules of Thumb as an interpretation of the fair use guidelines:

  1. Limit reserve materials to:
    • materials that a faculty member or the library already possesses legally (i.e., by purchase, license, fair use, etc.);
    • a small part of the materials required for the course.
  2. Include:
    • any copyright notice on the original;
    • appropriate citations and attributions to the source.
  3. Limit access to:
    • students enrolled in the class and
    • library staff as needed.
  4. Limit the amount of time a material is on reserve. Materials are added to the reserve collection for one semester only. Obtain permission for materials that will be used again by the same instructor for the same course or for more substantial portions of works. If you must ask for permission, ask for the broadest scope you can get.

— The above information has been adapted from the University of Wisconsin- Madison policy and the University of Texas System, Office of General Counsel.

Information on obtaining copyright permission is available from the Copyright Clearance Center, at

As an alternate to obtaining permission for reuse or use of substantial portions of copyrighted materials, instructors may want to consider merely providing citations and/or permalinks to material found through the library.