UW-System has announced that Kaltura/MyMedia in Canvas will automatically add machine-generated captions by default to all new Kaltura videos added after the December 2021 start date.
A few things to know:
• Collaboration between Tech Services and CLIC: 1-time funding to support captioning efforts
• Student workers hired & trained to create & edit captions for instructor-created content within Canvas, on-demand for instructors
• Fill out the request form on this page.
• A student worker will be assigned & communicate with you on next steps
• Your video is captioned within 1-3 days (depending on length, number of videos, etc.)
• Increased ease and accessibility for students’ watching needs
• To reduce instructors’ workload in preparing online course materials
• Will the student worker need access to my course?
No – students will have access only to the videos you identify within Canvas MyMedia
• Do I have to use Canvas MyMedia?
Yes – although you can make the video with any tool, it will need to be uploaded to Canvas MyMedia for captioning and editing in this process.